Slim Down to Your Ideal Weight Without Dieting
The 15 easy to follow habit tweaks that will slim you down without effort or dieting.
First let me start by saying that there is nothing wrong with pasta, bread, rice, candy, pizza, ice cream, chips and cake. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating these types of foods. But by tweaking your habits and replacing some of these foods you will have a lot more room to fit in your favorite ”naughties” daily!
Let’s get startet!
Tweak One: Breakfast is optional
You have heard all your life. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. People who eat breakfast are healthier. People who eat breakfast loose weight easier. I have some important information to share with you. You have been lied to all your life. The science tells a different story. In fact, people who skip breakfast are healthier, live longer and fitter. I know this is a hard one to swallow. Every fitness magazine will tell you different and most personal trainers as well. Take five minutes and do some research yourself if you’re a non believer.
People who skip breakfast are fitter
The reason is simple. People who don’t eat breakfast eat fewer daily calories on average. On top of that their hormones are in greater balance. This results in better fat burning, better hunger control and better ability to keep or gain muscle mass even in a caloric deficit. Keep in mind that your total muscle mass accounts for 75% of you daily calories burned.
Skipping breakfast is not for everyone
Now that being said, you can have breakfast. Skipping breakfast is not an option for some, and especially women have a harder time with saying goodbye to this habit.
So here is what you do if you want to eat breakfast. There are good and bad things to eat in the morning. Some foods will stop your fat burning and on top of that make you hungry a few hours later. So where is what to eat and what not to eat if you can’t give your breakfast ritual:
Eat this for breakfast if you can not skip it:
- Eggs. Cook them, fry them, scramble them do anything you like to them.
• Greek yoghurt and Icelandish Skyr.
• Meats like chicken, turkey,, lean beefs and pork.
• Fatty meats like bacon and chorizo. But don’t go too nuts with these.
• Vegetables like onion, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes and mushrooms
All these foods have one thing in common. They have few to no carbs. Now don’t get me wrong. Carbs are not bad. But eating them in the morning is a bad idea because they will instantly stop your fat burning by raising your insulin levels. On that note I guess it’s pretty easy to figure out what you should not eat. Let’s take a look.
Don’t eat this for breakfast:
- Bread. Any bread. White or whole weed. It doesn’t matter. Don’t eat it in the morning
• Serial. Did I really have to tell you? Why not just have a bold of cookies.
• Fruits. Say what. Fruits are healthy. Damn straight. But don’t eat them for breakfast.
• Potatoes and other ground vegetables.. There is plenty of time for that later in the day.
• Nuts. Okay now you think I’m loosing it. Nuts are super healthy, and don’t have that many carbs. But I will tell you what they do have. A ton of calories. Nuts on average have twice the calories of bacon. So if you want nuts for breakfast, make sure a tiny portion. Like half a peanut.
I know you’re too lazy to go out and find some tasty recipes that follow these do’s and don’ts
So here you go 10 quick and easy breakfast of champions recipes:
- Breakfast pizza (Now I have your attention)
• Omelet in a cup (done in two minutes)
• Bacon and eggs
• Boiled eggs with scrimp
• Scrambled eggs with salmon
• Greek yogurt with berries. You can spike the yogurt with some protein powder for it to be even more filling.
• Egg toast with ham and cheese
• Egg wrap with chicken
• Protein shake
• Egg in an avocado
Tweak Two: The old Switcheroo
I love pasta, rice, bread and mashed potatoes as much as the next guy. But they are all very high in calories. That does not mean you can not eat them, but it does give you an opportunity to switch them out with tasty healthy alternatives when you see fit.
Four ways to make ”Spaghetti” with a fraction of the calories
• Butternut Squash
• Slim Pasta
Two ways to make ”rice” with a fraction of the calories
- Spiced Cauliflower
• Kale Supercut
Two ways to make mashed ”Potatoes” a fraction of the calories
- Microwave a Butternut squash (Easier and tastier than real mashed potatoes)
• Spiked mashed cauliflower
5 ways to make a tasty Pizza with a fraction of the calories
- Sliced butternut squash pizza bottoms.
• Sliced Sweet potato pizza bottoms.
• Mashed cauliflower pizza bottom.
• Chicken as the pizza bottom (Yes you heard me)
• Tortilla pizza bottom. This is still bread, but there is a lot less of it.
4 Ways to make a burger with a fraction of the calories
- Sweet potato
• Eggplant buns
• Mushroom buns (Portobello)
• Potato rosti buns
Those calories won’t know what hit em
Each mean where you make a switch is easily 400 calories or more removed. This can quickly add you to a ton of room of some much tastier treats. Just don’t eat them all back if you want to slim down.
Tweak Three: Fat on a bottle
Are you drinking your calories? If so, what the hell are you thinking. By drinking you calories I mean having some of these beverages in your daily rutine:
Sugary soda, fruit juice, coffee with cream/sugar, milk, beer or wine. Well stop that right this second.
Okay I’m not saying you can not have any of these, I’m just saying they should not be a part of your daily rutine. Okay let me rephrase that. You should never drink sugary soda or fruit juice. These are pure sugar bombs that will make you both fat and loose your teeth. Go nuts on the coffee, just drink it black. Alcohol is okay also, but do not make it a daily event.
Okay this is what you should not be drinking. What should you then drink instead:
Water has zero calories. When you drink it cold the body has to spend energy to to warm it up to body temperature. Each glass of water is about 10 negative calories. Over time it adds up.• Sparkeling water
All the same benefits as water.
• Green Tea
Zero calories. Takes energy to cool down. Will raise the metabolism a tiny bid. Over time thi smatters.
• Black Coffee
Zero calories. Take energy to cool down. The cafeen will raise your metabolism for a short period. Coffee is great at blunting your appetite. In stead of having a snack a nice cub of joe can do the trick. Works especially well for skipping breakfast.
• Diet soda
Zero calories. Takes energy to warm up just like with water. Forget everything you have heard about diet soda making you hungry or artificial sweeteners spiking your insulin levels. They do not raise your insulin levels. There have been countless studies of this. Few people get hungry from diet sodas, most can actually use it to blunt their appetite. Test for your self to see if you are one of the few who gets hungry.
• Green Juice made from vegetables.
This does not have zero calories, but it does have a ton of nutrition. This will make you less hungry through out the day.
A pound of fat per week
By removing calorie heavy drinks in your daily rutine you can remove anywhere from a few to 1000+ calories that give your body nothing that is needs. Removing 500 calories per day equals one pound of fat loss per week.
Tweak Four: The Neat Factor
Neat stands for Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. In other words it’s the calories you burn without breaking a sweat. This is a place where 99 out of a 100 can cash in tons of daily calories burned. This is not jogging, cycling miles on end or lifting weights. This is using your body for what it was meant for. Moving and standing, not sitting down or riding the escalator.
Walking beats running by miles
Walking is one of the best things you can do for you health and weight loss. It beats running by miles (Not that running is all that good anyway.. Be sure to read why jogging sucks right here). If you walk 30-60 minutes daily you will see a nice calorie burn without seeing and increase in hunger. If you have a desc job you need a desk where you can stand. Standing a good part of you work day instead of sitting has huge health benefits on top of the fact that you will burn a ton of extra calories. Take the stairs, walk to work, walk when you go shopping.
Do some it up. Here is what you should do:
- Walk instead of driving
• Ride your bike to work
• Take the stairs instead of the escalator of elevator
• Stand up at your desk
• Walk when you go shopping
Can you count to 500 calories?
Using some of these adjustments in your daily rutine it can quickly run up to 500 extra calories burned. And keep in mind that this is without increasing your appetite. 500 daily calories is a pound of fat per week.
Tweak Five: Eat like a king
Just about all men and women who aren’t fitness nerds gets too little protein. And most women only get half of what they need. Especially if they’re on a diet. The result is easy to predict. In stead of loosing fat they loose muscle. And that is usually the beginning of a vicious circle of muscle loss and fat gain. You see, when you loose muscle your metabolism slows down. This results in short term weight loss followed by long term weight gain. To loose weight long term you have to loose fat and just fat. You have to keep your muscles mass or maybe even gain some muscle.
There are three factors that make protein the most important macronutrient in your diet.
- You need muscle to keep your muscle mass and thereby keep your metabolism high.
- Protein is also you secret weapon when it comes to your body burning extra calories. You see 100 calories of protein takes your body 25 calories to digest. Compared to 5 calories to digest 100 calories or carbs and 0-1 calorie to digest 100 calories of fat. So let’s do a little simple math. If you were to only eat protein for an entire day (Not that you should do that) you could eat 2000 calories but your body would only be able to make that into 1500 calories of energy.
- Protein is the most filling macronutrient there is. Making you fill full faster and longer.
Realistically you should be eating a minimum of 0.82 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
Quick math will tell you that if you weigh 200 pounds you should make sure to get a minimum of 164 grams of protein every day.
Let’s take a look at some of the foods that you should be eating to make sure you get enough protein. And let me start by saying that if you’re a vegan, there is no way you can do this without adding protein powder in your diet.
Eat this and get you daily protein intake under wraps:
- Scrimp and other shellfish
• Fish like salmon, …..
• Any bird you can get your hands on like chicken or turkey
• Lean meats like streak, tenderloin
• Greek yoghurt
• Protein shakes
• Protein cakes (Check out these healthy options)
• Protein bars (The healthy kind… and yes there are some tasty healthy options)
Tweak number 6: Goodbye cardio
This might be the biggest surprise for most people reading these hacks for weight loss. Cardio is really not a good option when it comes to weight loss. Is jogging healthy? Sure, but it does pour job of getting your body fit. I used to be a runner. I would go run up to 30 miles each week and look at all the calories I burned. But my weight would just stay the same even though I would eat super healthy. The problem is simple. You burn calories while running but burn less calories while resting because of the impact jogging has on your body. On top of that it makes you hungry. This results in most people offsetting their hard work by eating all the calories back.
Cardio is bad for weight loss and here is why:
- You tear down muscles instead of building them. Making your metabolism slow down over time because of less muscle mass.
- Your hormones will take a hit if you run to much (More than 30 minutes on a run)
- You don’t burn that many calories because you can only run so much. 5 miles, 3 timer per week is not going to make a big difference.
- You eat back all the calories you burn while running.
What should you do instead:
- You may only burn half the calories in the same time, but you can walk without getting tired. You can walk every day without having sore legs. You can walk without increasing your appetite. You can walk without hurting your hormon elevels.
- HiiT cardio. Medium level cardio like jogging/running sucks for weight loss, but higt level HIIT cardio rocks. When you do hiit your do a combination of sprints, walking and strength training. This is an awesome combination. You pulse will be high during the entire workout even though you are only sprinting a third of the time. The three part combination make your body build muscles instead of tearing it down like jogging does.
- Resistance training. Strength training will not burn as many calories as running during the workout. But building muscles means your resting metabolic rate will get higher and higher over time instead of getting lower with medium pace running.
Conclusion. Stor doing any time of medium pace cardio that is more than 30 minutes. Focus on building muscle with strength training/HITT or burning calories without breaking a sweat by walking.
Tweak number 7: Hello Resistants Training
If you want to look like a god/goddess there is no way around it. Resistance training is key in building a lean and toned physic. This is more important for weight loss than any type of cardio. You might think that building muscle will make you look like a bodybuilder. It will not. Well not unless you spend ALOT of time in the gym. For guys and girls who want to look like a hollywood star (Brad Pit in Troy, Christofer in American Psycho, Jessica Alba in Sin City or Jennifer Aniston in just about everything) resistance training is key.
I’m talking 3 times per week with 45 minutes each. If you do nothing else, this is the physical activity you must be doing. Here is why strength training is key and here is why.
- Your muscle mass amounts for 75% of your resting metabolic rate. Adding muscle will make your body burn more calories every day. Not just when you are active.
- A pound of fat takes up a lot more room than a pound of muscle. So even though you might not lose as many pounds as you had in your head, you will look better than you thought possible.
It is importante that you train the right way. There are a few key factors that are important to getting great results.
- Progressive overload. Make sure you are adding more weight to your lifts over time. If you stop adding weights and just lift the same every week you will see results stop.
- Low reps. On each exercise you should go for 4 – 10 reps. Three rounds on each exercise. On the first round you should go for 4-6 reps. If you can do more you are lifting to little weight. Add more the next time you do the exersize. On round two you take off about 10% compared to round one and go for 6-8 reps. If you can do more you need to add more weight next time. On round three you take 10% off again and go for 8-10 reps. Start by following a great workout program. I will recommend some for you here. For men I would highly recommend Bigger Leaner Stronger and Agressive Fat Loss. For women I would recommend Thinner leaner Stronger and The Goddess Toning Program. The programs are created by Mike Mathews and by Greg O’gallagher. Both are people you can trust to give out great advice
- Track your progress. Make sure to keep track of how much you are lifting. You can do this on paper or by downloading an app like ”Strong”.
Tweak number 8: The Fillers
Eating filling foods that you enjoy is one of the most important things to remember when trimming the fat. Do not eat foods you don’t like. Do not eat foods that you can not stop eating. It don’t matter if a cookie only has 100 calories if you eat the whole bag. You need to experiment with what really fills you up. It’s a great feeling when you eat a meal that is low on calories, super filling and really enjoyable. Let take a look at the list of super fillers that are great for your over all results.
Potatoes rock and here is why
Say what. Aren’t potatoes bad? No. All potatoes are good. Don’t let the paleo cavemen tell you otherwise. Sweet potatoes or regular potatoes. They are all great. Let me tell you why. But first let me tell you why some diets will tell you they are not.
Both the low carbs dieters and the paleo community will tell you that potatoes are bad. The low carb diet says they are bad because they have a lot of carbs. The paleo people say they are bad because they have a lot of starch.
They have about 80 calories per 100 gram. Compare that to 300 plus on both pasta and rice. They are very filling. They have starch which is a great fuel for you muscles glycogen deposits. This will make you stronger in the gym. They have carbs which is great to make sure your hormons are in balance, making you sleep better and fell less hungry overall.
Greek Yogurt and Skyr – How much can you eat
Almost every diet loves greek yogurt and Icelandish skyr. There is a good reason for this. Few calories, lots of protein, great taste, and of course super filling. Can you eat 2.2 pounds / 1 kilo of greek yoghurt/skyr. Why not give it a try. This is 600 calories. Why not go nuts and add 250 grams of strawberries. This will make the meal 700 calories. Now go for it. See if you can. I bet you that you can’t. And if you can you will probably feel like not eating another bite or move a muscle for the next 6+ hours. Now you could just eat half. That would be a whopping 350 calories to fill you up nice and good. Both Greek yoghurt and skyr can be used to make dips, tzatziki, dressing and well just do your own search for great recipes with greek yoghurt or skyr.
Tweak number 9: Counting sheep and stressing out
Sleep is one of the most underrated parts of losing weight. Did you know that not getting enough sleep will results in half the fat loss. If you’re not getting the amount or quality of sleep that you need your cortisol levels will be elevated. This will sabotage fat loss greatly and make belly fat go up instead of down.
Tweak Number 10: Snacks from heaven
Let me start by saying that there are no snacks that you can not have. If you enjoy chips, candy, chocolates, Twinkies, Poptarts and ice cream you can keep enjoying that. What I’m suggesting is that you add some new tasty treats to you favoriets. These treats might just beat out some of the old or at least take their place every now and again. Lets take a look at awesome snack that have fewer calories and higher nutrition value:
- The worlds greatest ice cream
- Coco truffles
- Frozen Yoghurt
- Skyr with berries
- Beef jerky
- Protein bars
- Protein cakes
- Banana pancakes with zero calorie toppings
- Fruits – Melons and apples are the best
- Rawfood brownie
- Cinnamon Sweet potato
- Cinnamon Butternut Squash
- Tortilla pizza
- Stevia sweetened candy
Tweak Number 11: The fad is making your fat
Do not jump on every new diet that says you can lose huge amounts of weight in weeks. These diets do not work. They are hard to stick to and the weight will come back quicker than you lost it.
Tweak Number 12: Meal timing is out
The famous window of opportunity is a scam. All the nutrition companies what you to eat and drink up right after your workout. This is great for them because who has time to find a good protein source ready right after finishing a workout. Instead they want you to buy their protein shakes, protein powder and protein bars. Now I’m not saying there is anything wrong they any other those. But the reality is the difference between getting your protein right after a workout and getting it several hours later is so little that only professionals and people who are ultra lean should worry about it.
A big juicy steak or a protein shake. Which one do you pick?
Why waste 300 calories on a protein shake if you would much rather have an extra 200 gram steak at dinner. The steak will fill you up a lot more than the shake.
Wait as long as you want
Do not worry about meal timing. Even if you train in the morning on an empty stomach it is no problem if you don’t eat until noon or even if you wait until dinner. What matter is that you get what you need during the day. This can be in ten meals and it can be in one feast with all your calories and protein in one sitting. In short, eat when ever you want and do not waste calories one protein sources that you don’t love.
Tweak Number 13: Bad foods
No foods are created equal. Some are great for fat loss and some are not so great, but no foods are bad. You can have what ever kind of food you want. If you love pizza you can eat it, if you love bacon you can have it. It’s all about balance. Cutting out food that you love will more often than not result on you binge eating them when the will power is low. Just don’t eat them all the time.
If you want you can have pizza every single day. It will just mean you will have to eat few calories for the rest of the day. This might not be the best solution for long term results. It is better to have your guilty pleasures once in a while, that way you can make sure they fit in nicely. If you want a big 1500 calorie pizza on monday. Why not skip breakfast, and have a 500 calorie lunch. Top that of with a bit of walking and you will still have room for a snack later that night even after stuffing yourself with pizza. It does not have to be hard to lose weight.
Tweak Number 14: Vegestabiles. Do you have to eat them?
Are vegestabiles required to lose weight. In short, no. You do not have to eat vegestables. A caloric deficit is all you need to lose weight. But there are a lot of advantages to eating them while trying to slim down. Let’s take a look at why vegetables will make your weight loss easier.
- They contain fiber. Fiber is great because it will make your body slow down digestion. This will make a sugar crash unlikely, even if you have foods with lots of sugar.
- They take up room and they have contain few calories. This is a key factor in feeling full. Eating 100 calories of vegetables will make the total meal fill
- They are full of vitamins and minerals. This will fill up your cells with what they crave.
Eating vegestabiles at every meal will result in you having fewer cravings, no sugar crashes and feeling a lot fuller without going nuts on calories.
Tweak Number 15: Calories. Do they really matter?
Calories matter. There I said it. One of the biggest fad diet lies out there is that calories doesn’t matter. If you eat no carbs you can eat as much as you like. This is not true. If you are 100+ pounds overweight and you cut out all carbs (candy, cakes, sodas, bread, pizza, burgers, fried food and so on) you are going to see weight loss even if you eat as much as you want. It’s simply hard to reach your calorie maintenance level with out those high calorie foods. This is not the same as saying that calories doesn’t matter. The closer to your ideal weight you are the more the calories matter.
Counting calories sucks
I would recommend anybody who wants to lose some fat to estimate their maintenance calorie level and then count calories for a couple of weeks to figure out how many calories are in different foods. Counting calories sucks for most people, but doing it for a couple of weeks. Anyone can do that.
Let’s take an extreme example to see how calories matter. Let’s say that your body needs 2000 calories per day on average to maintain it’s weight. It’s ten at night and you have eaten 1900 calories of foods that day. If you go to bed now without eating anything you will lose weight. You want to make sure that you are healthy so you make yourself af nice healthy snack of vegestables and som greek yoghurt to end your day. This healthy snack contains 200 calories. What this means it that instead of loosing weight that day you will gain some. All because you ate 200 calories of super healthy food. This is how it works. It doesn’t matter if you’re doing low carb or any other diet. Good or bad, calories matter. Of cause I would recommend anybody to have that snack. But it is important to remember that it counts in your calories just as much as the donut or soda you had earlier.
It’s that simple
When you know how many calories your body needs it and you have tons of options to eat super tasty and filling foods that have fewer calories it is easy to go below that number without counting. Going 200-500 calories below is recommended if you want to see a nice fat loss weekly. Don’t stress about it. Some days you might go a little over and some days you might even go more than 500 calories below. What really matters is your weekly numbers.